The Regole > History > The Austrian Period
     
 

The Austrian Period
On 18th October, 1511, the troops of Emperor Maximilian of Hapsburg conquered the Castle of Botestagno, the small fortress located at the northern entrance to the Ampezzo valley. On 21st October, the Emperor was in Ampezzo and ordered the family heads to formally subject. They paid the emperor their respects while beseeching and obtaining confirmation of the statutes of Cadore, already ratified by Venice.
The earliest document recognizing the Statute, the Laudi and the rules of Ampezzo got lost. As many as 14 other documents followed until 1792, by which the Ampezzo people were reconfirmed their privileges by the Emperor or the Archduke of Tyrol.
Ampezzo was officially given to the Austrian Empire by the treaty of Worms in 1521.
Under the Austrian rule, Ampezzo maintained both its independence and the rules ratified by the Laudi, concerning the ownership and management of forests and pasturelands.

The common forests in the areas bordering with Dobbiaco, San Vito and Auronzo di Cadore, were the cause of a number of disputes, controversies and endless trials. The first border was set with Dobbiaco in 1536, whereas over two hundred years elapsed before the borders with Auronzo and San Vito were eventually set.

There were, instead, fierce disputes between the Regola di Lareto and the Austrian captains of Botestagno over the forests and pastures surrounding the fortress. The controversy led to two trials whose issues were unsuccessful for the Regolieri of Lareto, who were able to repurchase the lands from the Austrian state only in 1798.

The 18th century was one of stability and peace for the Regole. In the land register of 1755 , known as Catasto Teresiano, the property of the forests was allotted to the Community, whilst the Regole owned the pasturelands , but were entitled only to grazing rights in the forests. The Regolieri did not realise the mistake, perhaps because the Community was still one with the historical Regola of the valley floor and was considered only for its function of managing the alodial estate of the Regolieri.

In 1853, the Empire ordered the cancellation of grazing and firewood gathering rights. The law was ignored in Ampezzo until 1870, when a few "progressivists" appealed to it in order to advocate that the Regole were to be assimilated by the Municipality. A first request was submitted to cancel the promiscuity between the Regole and the Municipality. Priests don Pietro and don Isidoro Alverà succeeded in stopping the dangerous trial. Since 1848, in fact, the Commune of Ampezzo had become a public body, and its head was to swear allegiance to His Imperial Majesty Franz Joseph I.

In 1885, the Regole were officially recognised by the Austrian State, and during the "Meeting between the Magnifica Comunità d’Ampezzo and the so-called Regole" of 1887, the rights of the Regole were put down in writing and the ownership of the Comunità d’Ampezzo was established.